1.I believe in God almighty maker of heaven and earth.
2.I believe in Jesus
3. His Father, a breath, his Mother a virgin.
As I mentioned last time, Article 2 speaks of Jesus as the only son of God. Where is mum, I said. She is the Anthropos, one of the fully human beings in this relationship.
Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost, or Spirit. From the Hebrew Scriptures this is Ruach Elohim, God’s Breath. In the Septuagint and through most of the New Testament this is “pneuma”, again, breath.
Consult. Ruach Elohim
Born of the Virgin Mary
Jogging our memory we notice that throughout the Scriptures, special people, men of God, were born in miraculous circumstances. Isaac to Sarah and Abraham,long after her moons had set, Samuel born to Hannah and dedicated to the House of God in Eli’s time. John the Baptist conceived after Zechariah was confronted by Gabriel in the Holy of Holies,the Kodesh HaKodashim.
Jesus is so special as (supposedly) to have no earthly father and a young virgin as his mother. Or so it says.
From the first post in this series we learnt that the Creed is a summary of key beliefs from the Scriptures. It is in the Gospel of Luke where we read of the Annunciation and conception of Jesus Luke 1:26-38
Mysterious goings on
- God sent the angel Gabriel……to Nazareth, a town in Galilee
- to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph,
- A descendant of David
- The angel greeted Mary “you who are highly favoured
- The Lord is with you”
- “Do not be afraid, Mary;
- you have found favor with God.
- You will conceive and give birth to a son,
- you are to call him Jesus.
- He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.
- The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33
- and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever;
- his kingdom will never end.”
- “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
- “The Holy Spirit will come on you,
- the power of the Most High will overshadow you.
- So the holy one to be born will be called
- The Son of God.
Muddy waters- again
# Jesus claim to royalty , comes to us from the Patrilineage of the second Anthropos, Jesus’ Foster Father Joseph.
Again more fuel for the Nicene Creed and its definitions of the Nature of Jesus… Both Mary and Joseph are important component which complicated – muddied the waters of the Nature of the god- man, with regards to the “how” and the “why”. Joseph seems a convenience to verify the status of this human one. Or is Joseph Jesus’ real father????/
Of course we realize that the fate of a pregnant unwed mother wasn’t a healthy thing to be in Israel of old – but Mary’s Crime was adultery because she was already engaged to Joseph. and her punishment, along with the man involved, would have been stoning and the death of their son, (the trick was not to be caught out since witnesses to the act were required for punishment to be enacted)
“If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death. LEVITICUS 20:10 ESV
Deuteronomy 23:2 ESV
Joseph, being a man of God planned to hide Mary away – to put her away privily to protect her and her unborn child – Matthew then records the visit by Gabriel by night, in Joseph’s dream Gabriel enlightens him as to the true nature of the mother and child.